Dr. Pradeep Chowbey
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), MNAMS, FIMSA,FAIS, FICS, FACS, Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa), FRCS
Vice Chairman at Max Healthcare,
Chief of Surgery & Allied Surgical Specialities and Director
Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Max Healthcare, Saket, New Delhi 110 017, India
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey belongs to the cadre of the pioneer laparoscopic surgeons in India. One of the first to perform Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in North India, he has graphed his career with singular determination to develop, evaluate and propagate Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in India. The advent of Laparoscopic surgery with his hands became a point in India's medical history.
The Max Institute of MAMBS has been accredited as an International Centre of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC), USA. and in Endohernia Surgery by the Asia Pacific Hernia Society. The Institute is the First Centre to receive these accreditations in India under the leadership of Dr. Chowbey. Dr. Chowbey previously established the Minimal Access and Bariatric Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi in 1996, which was the first of its kind in the Asian subcontinent.
Current Academic Positions
- Honorary Laparoscopic Surgeon to the President of India
- Honorary Laparoscopic Surgeon to Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS)
- Founder President : Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS)
- President : International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
- President : International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) Asia Pacific Chapter
- President : Asia Pacific Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS)
- Past President : Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI)
- Advisor : Asia Pacific Endosurgery Task Force (AEIF)
- Trustee & Past President : Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons (IAGES)
- Honor of operating on His Excellency Shri K R Narayanan former President of India for gall bladder surgery (March 29, 2001)
- Honor of operating on His Holiness Dalai Lama for gall bladder surgery (October 10, 2008)
- With over 50,500 surgeries to his credit he is featured in the Guinness Book of Records 1997 and Limca Book of Records 2000 – 2011 (consecutive years) as the first Endoscopic surgeon performing most number of minimal access surgeries.
- First to use the Spider technology to perform Bariatric Surgery in Asia Pacific Region
- First to perform MAFT (Minimally Invasive Fistula Technology) in Asia Pacific Region
- Devised a unique method of performing Endoscopic Hernia Repair (TEP) that has been well accepted globally.
- Devised a novel endoscopic approach for surgery in the neck.
- Dr. Chowbey edited a text book "Endoscopic Repair of Abdominal Wall Hernias" that crystallizes the enormous experience of a team of minimal access surgeons who are leaders in the field of laparoscopic hernia repair.
- Guest Editor of "Advanced Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery" Book which is the first series of books of "Clinical Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation", modeled on Surgical Clinics of North America, published by Elsevier.
Actively involved in editorial process in peer reviewed medical journals.
*Names of the journals shall be furnished on request.
International & National Guidelines
Dr. Chowbey alongwith the core-group of experts, formulated guidelines and recommendations for minimal access surgery, endoscopic hernia surgery and obesity in India.
- Convener of Guidelines on Obesity in association with Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) in December 2010.
- Consensus Guidelines for Endohernia Surgery - held at New Delhi on 19 - 21 February 2009.
- Metabolic & Obesity (MOSI) Guidelines, India (consensus recommendation and guidelines in relation to overweight, obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and risk associated with these conditions for Indians) – held at New Delhi on 15 & 16 November 2008
- Minimal Access Surgery - Guidelines and Recommendations – held at New Delhi 2002 and released by the Hon'ble President of India at Rashtrapati Bhavan in July 2002
- Dr. Chowbey was nominated the Convenor by the National Board of Examinations of Post Doctoral Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery in 2001 and has trained more than 3000 surgeons from India and abroad.
- Introduction and training of surgeons in the art and safe practice of laparoscopy remains one of the foremost priorities of the Institute. The training courses (more than ten courses with different duration – basic and advance) conducted in the institute are endorsed by:
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA),
- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-surgeons (IAGES).
Conferences & Workshops
- Dr Chowbey was the President Elect and Organiser for the IFSO 2012 World Congress. The Congress was a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary forum where leading national and international experts conducted a critical review. It provided a platform to address and debate on the recent advances and challenges in the field of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery – held on 11-15 Sept 2012, Taj Palace, New Delhi.
- The Fourth Annual Meeting of International Endohernia Society (IEHS) - held on 19 - 21 February 2009 at Hotel Intercontinetal Eros, New Delhi.
- Metabolic & Obesity Summit - held on 15 & 16 November 2008 in Hotel Hyatt Regency, New Delhi. The theme of the Summit was "Consensus in Diagnosis and Management of Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome".
- ASIA PACIFIC HERNIA CONGRESS & LIVE WORKSHOP 2006 – held on 6 - 8th October at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi.
- The “Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave” - held at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi from 1 – 4 March 2006.
- Awarded the Padma Shri in 2002 for his dedication and service in the field of Minimal Access Surgery by President of India.
- Awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award (2013)
- Awarded Honorary Membership of German Hernia Society at Oldenburg, Germany in May 2011, Indonesian Hernia Society at Bali, Indonesia in 2009 and Gulf Cooperation Council Hernia Society (National Chapter of Asia Pacific Hernia Society), Dubai in 2010.
- Founder members of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES) and later served as President of the association. Presently, he is honorary laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeon to the President of India and Honorary consultant laparoscopic surgery to the Armed Force Medical Services (AFMS).
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Chowbey’s personal attributes of sobriety, humbleness, kindness and amity, coupled with his solid professional competence mark him out as an extraordinary personality.